10 July 2010

Dangerous Cereal

Awhile back, I bought a ginormous box of cereal at Costco. An utterly unsurprising announcement, I know. It was a cinnamon crunch cereal and cocoa pop combination box, and that is why I bought it, because I am sucker for variety. Sidenote: this is one reason why I find it challenging to lose weight. Dr. Oz says that eating the same thing all the time is less tempting. But it's also more boring.

Not wanting to be boring, but also wanting to use up the huge bag of cocoa pop cereal in my pantry, I found the following recipe. Warning, this is SOO good and will utterly throw your diet off the rails! Only make it if you have others to share it with! One last sidenote, because my brain is full of them: yesterday when I was at wally world, I found this snack. I was appalled. Yes, it looks delicious, but if I'm going to eat chocolate coated cereal, I need to earn the right to do so by at least making it myself. What can I say, I have a lot of rules.

MALTED MILK CLUSTERS

1/4 c. instant malted milk powder
3 tbsp. milk
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 tbsp. margarine
5 c. Cocoa Puffs cereal
1-1/2 c. milk chocolate chips

Heat malted milk powder and milk in 3-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in corn syrup and margarine. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Quickly stir in cereal, 2 1/2 cups at a time, until it is all covered. From here, my changes: Press the mixture onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a nonstick baking liner. Freeze for at least 30 minutes, then cut or break for serving and eating. Original recipe called for 36 servings. I was able to get more by cutting small pieces for sharing and saving large chunks for myself.

I found this recipe here but felt free to copy it; apparently no one has added to (or looked at?!) this discussion thread since 2005.

1 comment:

L Case said...

who knew there were so many options for using up cocoa puffs???