11 April 2006

Underripe & Overripe = Just Ripe

Mangoes were on sale two for $1 the other day, so I grabbed four. They looked ready to go, but when I cut into one last night I realized that one, at least, wasn't. I quickly substituted some honeydew melon for it and Koji was perfectly happy. But I, however, wasn't.

Reluctant to toss my 50 cent investment, my knife and I wrestled the underripe mango into bite-size chunks and stuck it in the fridge. Next discovery: the five Bosc pears I picked up the other day, thinking to experiment with poaching, were on the edge.

So tonight it came to me: why not put the tough mango and the not-so-tough pears together under a blanket of oats and brown sugar? Better yet, sprinkle in some coconut so that tropical mango wouldn't be so lonely...

Mango & Pear & Coconut Crisp
adapted from that red & white checked cookbook

Toss 2 mangoes, ripe or not so, cut into small chunks and 5-6 Bosc pears, also peeled and cut into small chunks with two tablespoons of sugar in an eight or nine inch cake or pie pan.

In a separate bowl, mix:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
large pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg

Into the above, smash 1/4 cup of softened butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the butter is spread throughout in little chunks the size of peas. Stir in 1/4 cup of sweetened flaked coconut (or substitute chopped walnuts or pecans if you like those better...but remember you'll be giving up that tropical edge). Dump and spread the lot onto the waiting mangoes and pears, then bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream or a hula skirt or all three?

No comments: