01 April 2009

Released from Prison into Subway

When we went to the pediatrician last Saturday and got our official verdict of "influenza," we were also told that said sickness is highly contagious and we shouldn't try to resume regular life until observing at least 24 hours without fevers.

So today, EIGHT DAYS after the fever and etc. came on and left us huddled here in the house, we finally marked that milestone.

Therefore, I decided that Koji was probably up for his karate class this afternoon. Once we finished the karate class--he's a yellow stripe belt right now, I know that's relevant to this post--I also decided to treat us to dinner at Subway.

Still can't decide if that was really a treat or not. I enjoyed taking a break from making dinner. The kids enjoyed being out. But I didn't enjoy spending fifteen dollars on a couple of sandwiches. Should there be a next time, note to self: if, make that when, the kids "have to have" the toys, just get two kids' meals and eat their scraps. Though that makes me sound like the Prodigal Son in the pigpen, I prefer that idea to spending too much money, taking half of my sandwich home and eating the kids' scraps anyway because it seems like a waste not to.

Two redeeming points for today: one, obviously, is that the kids and I actually left the house together. I'll have to rebuild my stamina for doing that though likely not till after Baby Spice appears; what should have been a simple karate lesson and dinner left me pretty wiped out...but it was worth it!!

Two: for my lunch, I made Gobi Jhalfrezie or "Cauliflower in a Piquant Tomato Sauce" or, as I've been calling it, "Indian Cauliflower". Out of kindness, I left the kids out: it was too spicy for them, and they preferred hot dogs anyway. Surprise. Last time I made something with cauliflower, it was an Indian-inspired dish which must have subconsciously convinced me that cauliflower is better cooked with Indian flavors? Or something. This recipe is slightly modified from the-fast-becoming-beloved Indian Home Cooking.

Serves 4
2 T canola oil
1 T chile powder
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 small head cauliflower, cored and cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 T white vinegar

Combine the first three ingredients in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the cumin begins to brown, about 1 minute.
Add the ginger, cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower and cook until it begins to brown, 2-3 minutes.
Add the salt and pepper and mix well. Turn the heat down to medium; cover the pan and cook until the cauliflower is almost tender, 7-8 minutes, while stirring three or four times and checking to be sure the spices aren't burning and the cauliflower is browning. Adjust the heat accordingly.
Add the tomato sauce and vinegar and stir well; cover again and cook for 2-3 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Serve with rice!!


トマトソースのインド風カリフラワー
4人前

サラダオイル 大さじ2
チリーパウダー 大さじ1
クミンの種  小さじ1.5
しょうが、親指位の大きさ、みじん切り
カリフラワー 1キロ、食べやすい大きさに切る
塩 小さじ1
コショウ 小さじ1
トマトソースの缶 225g 
酢 大さじ1

大きめなフライパンでオイル、チリパウダー、クミンの種を熱めな中火で約一分炒めて、しょうがを加えて30秒炒めて、カリフラワーを加えて、少しきつね色になるまで炒め混ぜる、2-3分。
塩、コショウを振りかけて、良く混ぜたら火をちょっと弱めて蓋をかぶせる。カリフラワーが柔らかくなる前まで7-8分蒸す。2-3回かき混ぜながら、スパイスが焦げないように見ておく。
トマトソースと酢を加えてよくかき混ぜる。再び蓋かけて2-3分煮込んだら出来上がり。ご飯と食べるととっても美味しいです!

No comments: