24 January 2009

Weekend is for Pizza?

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I forgot to take my camera to the fun housegroup get together we just had at church. There were several other things I wanted to take along, and in all the hustle of gathering them up, the camera got left behind.

We were at church from about 4 to 7 with everyone in our group. Everyone brought something. My contribution was:

*edamame
*spanokopita (from the freezer, before that, from Costco)
*angel food cake sandwiches (I had an angel food cake in the freezer. I sliced it thin and made three types of sandwiches--date spread, white chocolate, and hazelnut chocolate. Aogu thought it was too sweet, but everyone else, including me, thought it was a pretty good idea)
*peppermint popcorn (I made this last weekend too, and it was so good that I decided to make it again. Recipe below!)

We also had:
*cherries
*bananas
*green salad with chicken, chinese noodles and chinese-style dressing
*pizza (from Sam's Club)
*chocolate chip cookies
*apple juice for the kids
*root beer for Aogu
*water for me


Peppermint Popcorn from Best American Recipes 2004-2005 (if you click on this link, you'll see this book hasn't held its value very well!)

3 quarts unseasoned freshly popped popcorn, about 3/4 cups unpopped
(NOTE: I have NO idea how to measure a quart of popcorn, but I've found that 2 cups unpopped, prepared in my Nostalgia Electrics popcorn popper, which Cheryl Lynn gave me for my last birthday!, is the best amount)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Melt 1 stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp. of peppermint extract (I used 20 drops of peppermint oil--probably a little excessive, but I like mint). Pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir well.

Spread the popcorn onto two cookie sheets with rims; bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Let cool completely, then store in a tightly covered container.

No comments: