11 February 2009

Pork, Chicken, Whatever

Koji's not a big meat fan but he actually asked for seconds tonight on:

*tonkatsu (breaded fried pork cutlets)
*white rice
*hot carrots
*pickled cabbage salad with scallion greens and cucumbers


Just kidding, he didn't ask for more of that last. But he did enthusiastically eat more tonkatsu, which I happily gave him after he said, "Mama, can I have some more of that chicken?"

I enjoyed the tonkatsu that I ate while I was standing up the kitchen. I couldn't sit down because I was trying to put the finishing touches on a birthday cake that I made for Jennifer S.
Yes, she is older than 3...I knew she was 30 something but had no idea what the second number might be, and when I opened the drawer where the candles are, I found that 2 through 6 were available, but nothing like a question mark, which would have been most helpful. We found out that she is turning 35 and that she wasn't offended to be labeled "3".
The cake is a whole wheat genoise from Whole Grain Baking. I thought it was pretty well done for my first try, but I'd like to try it again and see if I can keep the layers from falling (one did, one didn't).
I also made the spinach artichoke dip you see next to the cake, as I was the snack lady for the evening. This recipe was super easy and got positive reviews from our housegroup members, but I'm not sure that I'll make it again since I don't usually keep jarred alfredo sauce on hand.

No comments: