04 March 2009

Two Birds with One Stone

Tonight I remembered that I'm supposed to supply a main dish for tomorrow's CBS staff lunch. The most convenient approach seemed to be, make an exceeding amount of dinner, eat a bit of it and then take the rest to share with the ladies. So that's what I did:

*yakisoba of angel hair pasta, pork, red peppers, carrots, onions, mushrooms and kale with tonkatsu sauce

A couple of months ago, one of the moms from Koji's school advised me that rather than buying expensive "ready for yakisoba" noodles at the Asian market, she uses angel hair pasta. I tried that, and I think it worked pretty well. I wasn't prepared for the pasta to soak up the sauce the way it did, so next time I'll have much more sauce ready. The favored sauce is "Bulldog Sauce" for tonkatsu (pork cutlets), but again, I didn't want to buy it, so I made some with a tried and true Cook's Illustated recipe, adapted by me, which is as follows:

Tonkatsu Sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (yellow would be OK, too, but I prefer Dijon)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce

Mix all together until smooth. Serve with tonkatsu or use in yakisoba.

No comments: